Friday, February 25, 2011

Kitchen Garden

Current Obsession: Kitchen Garden Planning.

Spring is coming and I get my gardening obsession going. I purchased some spring greens seeds at Wal-Mart for my existing 2 garden beds - spinach, lettuce, radishes. I usually start planting those in March, since they do good in cold weather. However I usually have empty spots in my garden beds in mid summer when it gets too hot to keep replanting spring greens and kind of to late to plant something like tomatoes or squash in their place. So I was looking for some gardening advice and picked up a "Grow it -Cook it" gardening magazine from "Birds and Blooms". It had a lot of good information on most of vegetables and herbs, that I usualy grow and I found out that Kale and Swiss Chard are summer greens that can replace my spinach/ lettuce in mid summer. Also the magazine had some examples of plans for Kitchen Gardens from this site

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KGPPreplanned and Oh Wow! It is like the whole world of new possibilities opened up for me! You can use their preplanned gardens or create your own plans whichever you prefer. It got me thinking about moving my beds to a different spot in my yard and making them into real Potager or Kitchen Garden with the gravel in between the beds and may be even a bench and short fence in the same area. I also want to start some perennial plants like Asparagus and Rhubarb this year and that means finding a permanent spot for those. Oh so many plans and possibilities. We will see how it will turn out in spring.

Daily recipe: Chicken Soup

Since everyone in our house is down with a flu, I wanted to make "real" chicken noodle soup, not the one from the can. It turned out OK, but next time I will cook meat longer, it was pretty tough.

Current MMORPG: HKO (Hello Kitty Online) http://www.hellokittyonline.com/

Cute, cute , cute if you are into Hello Kitty kind of graphics. My favorite part is actually a tutoring "newby zone"- Dreamworld in which you can try everything that you do in the rest of the game, but can't keep anything from that zone, once you leave it. The rest of the game - pretty boring. I like crafting in online games, but farming the same ingridients over and over and over... You get the point. The only nice thing from all that grinding, that you might get a pet card from the mob. I got lucky and got 3 different pets on my second day of playing. I made it to London so far, which is a 3rd post starting zone for your character - lvls 12-15. The game is free by the way, you can buy some extra items from the online store or with the prepaid game cards, but you don't have to do it. May be I can still make myself to go further in the game.

I guess that's it for today.

No comments: