Sunday, February 27, 2011

Square foot garden

Current Obsession: Still gardening
I got a famous All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!
book by Mel Bartholomew. I heard about it before, but never paid close enough attention. Now however, it goes right in with my obsessive garden planning. I like his idea about saving space, money and avoiding over planting, which I often do (all those radishes and turnips going to seeds ). The idea that attracts me the most in his new book is "Mel's mix" - 3 equal parts of compost, peat-moss and Coarse vermiculite. Our soil here is terrible and ridden with weeds. I want to start a compost pile and try this mix in new garden beds. More info about Square Foot Gardening is on his website http://www.squarefootgardening.org/ though I really disliked that site's design.
Anyways, my goals for upcoming spring are:
1. Prune my trees and bushes on time, meaning this week!
2. Plant grapes, asparagus and rhubarb, may be blueberries.
3. Fix and replant my strawberry bed.
4. Rotate my crops on seasonal basis without letting my spring crops go to seeds.
5. Avoid over planting.
I guess that's about it. As soon as I feel better - cough, cough (hate that flu!), I need to get on it.

Daily recipe: Crock-pot chicken thighs with onions, carrots and parsnips.
I tried the recipe from "Costco Connection" magazine, before, but it used acorn squash and fennel bulbs in the original. My family ate the chicken, but refused to eat the vegetables. So I still made the chicken the same way - salt, pepper, put in flour and fried on all sides. But I substituted squash and fennel with carrots, onions and parsnips. I cubed the veggies and slightly cooked them in the same skillet. I put them on top of chicken in a crock-pot and poured 1/2 of a cup of chicken broth and 1/2 of a cup of apple juice added some thyme and set it on high for 6 hours. We ate it with rice and this time all the vegetables were eaten as well as chicken.

No comments: